Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Decreasing antimicrobial resistance, improving patient outcomes, and decreasing costs
Studies have shown that effective Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs (ASPs) can improve patient care and shorten hospital stays, benefiting both the patient and the hospital. These programs also decreased antimicrobial use by more than 20%, correlating to an annual savings of $200,000 to $900,000.* An effective ASP can be a complex undertaking, requiring dedicated resources to focus on a sustained effort. That is why PipelineRx has developed a program to help hospitals and hospital systems achieve their ASP goals. The Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) from PipelineRx is designed to:
Number of deaths each year attributed to antibiotic resistance. Source: CDC 2013
• Promote the optimal use of antimicrobials by selecting the appropriate agent
• Improve patient clinical outcomes by minimizing drug toxicity and by minimizing antimicrobial resistance and the risk of superinfection
• Reduce drug expenditures and healthcare costs • Ensure compliance with requirements of various regulatory agencies, including CMS mandates for participation
Savings over seven years from one ASP at one facility Source: CDC 2016, citing a University of Maryland study
* Source: Combined Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America Guidelines for Developing an Institutional Program to Enhance Antibiomicrobial Stewardship. Clin Infec Dis. 2007;44:159-177.
PipelineRx CLINICAL SERVICES PipelineRx’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Program leverages our highly experienced clinical pharmacist team to evaluate and optimize antimicrobial usage at your hospital without adding staff to your organization. Our specialty trained infectious disease pharmacists can also help your hospital create or expand a comprehensive ASP based on established clinical standards and national guidelines.
COMPREHENSIVE ASP MANAGEMENT With Comprehensive ASP Management, PipelineRx clinical staff establish ASP policies and programs, in addition to providing all clinical services included in Proactive ASP Management (see below). 1. Develop policies and programs • Antimicrobial preauthorization and approval policy • Clinical practice guidelines and treatment algorithms for specific infections • Pharmacokinetic monitoring and adjustment 2. Participate in multi-disciplinary teams or committees created to address antimicrobial use
PROACTIVE ASP MANAGEMENT
APPLYING ASP POLICIES
PipelineRx clinical staff review patients’ labs and profiles and recommend interventions.
With PipelineRx™ Telepharmacy Services, our clinical pharmacists carry out each hospital’s ASP policies by:
1. Identify designated patients • Includes inpatients and patients discharged from the E.D. on antimicrobials • R eview culture data, lab and clinical status of the patient 2. Submit recommendations for changes in therapy • Communicate recommendation to designated hospital personnel
• R eviewing orders for antimicrobial agents for compliance with policies • E nsuring optimal dose, frequency and duration of antimicrobial therapy • F ulfilling pharmacy to dose requests, pharmacokinetic monitoring and dose adjustment
• Includes IV to PO 3. Provide monthly target report • ASP activities • Intervention recommendations • Estimated cost savings