Connect Guide connect.tafeqld.edu.au
How to add to a discussion
Author: Shannon Jones Last Updated: 17/07/2015
In this guide you will learn how to: • Access forums and topics • Post a new thread • Remove a post • Post a reply • Flag a message • Subscribe to a topic What is a Discussion? The Discussions tool is an area for you to share your thoughts, ask questions, or share files with your teacher and fellow students.
Access forums and topics 1. To access forums and topics created by your teacher click on the Communications dropdown in the navbar.
2. Click Discussions. You can also catch up on new posts by clicking on the link in your Updates widget.
Post a new thread 1. To post a message click on the title of the topic.
2. Click Start a New Thread.
3. Enter the subject heading of your message.
4. Enter the contents of your message.
5. You will notice that there are options to insert links and images, as well as change the formatting. It’s also a good idea to do a spell check before posting your message.
6. If you would like to see how your message will look click the Preview button.
7. Once you’ve finished previewing your message click Close.
8. If you message is quite long you may like to look at it using the Fullscreen button.
9. Click the Fullscreen icon again to return to normal view.
10. When creating your message you can add an attachment, create an audio file, or add a file you've already uploaded to your locker. To do this Click Add attachments.
11. Once you’re happy with your message click Post. You may wish to subscribe to the thread you are creating. This means that anytime someone replies to your message you will receive a notification. To do this ensure that the Subscribe to this thread checkbox has been ticked prior to posting your message.
Remove a post 1. If you need to remove a message that you’ve posted click on your thread’s context menu.
2. Select Delete Thread.
Post a reply 1. To reply to a message posted by either your teacher or another student click on the title of the thread.
2. Click Reply to Thread.
3. Enter your message. Note that the title will automatically appear. You can also choose to apply formatting, spellcheck or preview your reply just like a regular message.
4. Click Post.
Flag a message 1. If there’s a message that you think your teacher needs to review for any reason, please flag the post by clicking on the title’s context.
2. Click Flag Thread.
Subscribe to a topic 1. To subscribe to a topic click on the topic title.
2. Click Subscribe.
3. Choose your notification method and click Subscribe.
4. If you no longer want to receive notifications about a topic click Subscribed.
5. When the confirmation dialogue box appears click Yes.