Connect Guide connect.tafeqld.edu.au
Author: James Croft Last Updated: 29/05/2015
Need more help? Visit our YouTube channel: youtube.com/tafeqldconnect
1. In this guide, we'll look at using the Groups tool in your unit.
2. Click the Tools dropdown on then navbar, and then select Groups.
3. Click the 'New Category' button to create a category. A category is a container that holds related groups.
4. Give your category a name and description.
5. Select an Enrolment Type. This is based on how many groups you want to create, and how you’d like your students to be enrolled in these groups. Groups can be manually populated by the teacher, randomly populated, or self-enrolling. In this example, we'll create 3 groups and we'll manually enrol students, so chose the ‘# of Groups - No Auto Enrolments’ option.
6. Enter the number of groups you'd like created.
7. Click the 'Save' button to create your groups.
8. To customise a group, click the group title.
9. Give your group a name, a code and a description. These will be visible to other teachers and students too, so make sure they are simple, clear, and self-descriptive.
10. Click the 'Save' button to save your customised group.
11. Repeat these steps for each group.
12. Groups are renamed, and ready to enrol students.
13. To enrol, click the category context menu, and select 'Enrol Users'.
14. Your students are listed as rows, and your groups as columns.
15. To add a student to a group, click the checkbox in the column. Students can belong to a single group, or multiple groups. It’s up to you.
16. Complete your enrolments for all students.
17. Click the 'Save' button to confirm your group enrolments.
18. Your students are now enrolled in their groups. We can now start to use these groups for a variety of tasks, like group assessments, sending messages to a group, filtering your classlist to members of a single group, or using conditional release to unlock parts of the unit to a single group only.