Deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010 - Download Center - Microsoft

Both Windows 7 and Office 2010 offer Software Assurance, a licensing solution .... 1 Basic business PC productivity. ✓ ... basic business requirements to be met.
8MB Sizes 0 Downloads 144 Views
Deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010

Table of Contents 3

Windows and Office Upgrade: A Chance to Streamline the IT Environment

4 Top 10 Benefits of Windows 7 5 Top 10 Benefits of Office 2010

7

Choosing the Right Path

13

Implementing a Pilot Environment

14 Test Plan

Preparation Tasks

20

Mass Deployment of Windows 7 and Office 2010

14 Pilot: Testing Processes for a Limited Range of Users

20 Required Server Roles

14 How to Select Users for the Pilot

21 Mass Distribution Using MDT and WDS

11 What About the Applications?

16 Questions Related to the Hardware Pool

21 Mass Distribution Using SCCM

12 Implementation of a Reference Environment

16 Deployment Toolset

21 Office 2010 Deployment Options

13 User Profiles Need to Be Managed, Too!

18 Office 2010 Deployment Tools

23 Central Administration of the Resulting System

8

9 Let’s Plan and Scale!

19 Developing Custom Solutions

Windows and Office Upgrade: A Chance to Streamline the IT Environment Whenever a new version of Windows or Office hits the market, we are always faced with tough choices. We need to consider whether or not it makes sense to upgrade to the latest version; take stock of the advantages offered; assess the workload migration would mean for the IT staff and users; think about the life-cycle of the hardware and software used by the organization, as well as the costs involved and return on investment. Many will also ask if it is possible to streamline other system components during (or prior to) the migration period, so that the resulting system or even an interim, heterogeneous state may be more efficiently managed, with IT staff capable of flexibly and promptly fulfilling new business requirements.

Is it Possible to Gradually Migrate to the New Versions? Very few companies decide to replace all their desktop computers at the same time; the typical scenario is to have computers replaced on an ongoing basis, in line with user needs and the aging of hardware. On average, small and mid-sized businesses replace all their computers every five years, corresponding to a 20% replacement rate of PCs and laptops each year. New computers should of course be purchased with Windows 7 preinstalled, but what about the other 80% of machines in the first year? Using Microsoft technologies, nowadays it is easy to implement the management of heterogeneous environments that use two operating systems simultaneously, and given that the servers running in the background of the system have been properly prepared, it is possible to migrate users and computers from the old software to the new in a gradual and transparent manner. Through the use of modern application virtualization and Remote Desktop Services, gradual and problem-free migration of business applications (e.g. between Office versions) is easy to achieve. With just a few clicks, users can be assigned Office versions to use, which will also be made available to them automatically. Today’s tools even enable users to run two different versions of Office simultaneously, allowing them enough time to familiarize themselves with the new system. Should compatibility issues arise, it is also possible to perform daily work with the older version, while IT experts resolve the problem or properly train users to work with the new Office version.

What is the Best Way to Start Migration? The first step should definitely be thorough planning: this document aims to provide all possible assistance in this regard. It is important to gather enough information before planning, as today’s Windows, Office, management and server technologies allow for the creation of a system that is even capable of flexibly serving gradual migration and business requirements that may ch