newsletter - Support for Families of Children with Disabilities

Special Education Content Specialist. It is also located on the Special Education Services website at yuJPhw. 4. If there is still no resolution, call SFUSD Special. Education Services at (415) 759-2222 and ask for the. Special Education Supervisor for your school. 5. If you feel that your concerns haven't been.
1MB Sizes 2 Downloads 283 Views

NEWSLETTER Table of Contents

Join Us!

W+D Save the Date

Where to Get Help with a Child's Special Education Services

FALL 2017



Be a Parent Mentor!


CHA Family Advocacy Day


Thank You!/ Upcoming Special Events


Inclusion Tools for 10 After-School Professionals

Growing With Groups


SFCD Board & Staff


Support for Families of Children with Disabilities is a nonprofit support, resource, and networking organization for families of children with disabilities, concerns, and special health care needs and the professionals who work with them. All services are free of charge including resources, phone line, drop-in center, support groups, workshops & family gatherings.

Friday, October 6th | 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm The Galleria, San Francisco Design Center a fundraiser benefit for

Celebrate 35 with us! Individual reservations: $150/person Sponsorship packages start at $500 For more information, contact Matt Cherry at 650-491-9780 or [email protected] Visit for donation and sponsorship opportunities!

Access to Adventure 2017!

Access to Adventure 2017 was amazing! The weather couldn't have been better. We had a great day crafting, climbing, and drumming, and enjoyed exciting outdoor activities provided by dozens of community organizations! Thanks so much to everyone who made it out, and thanks to those who helped make it a success!

Fall 2017

Support for Families Newsletter



Where to Get Help with a Child's Special Education Services Compiled by Support for Families and the San Francisco Unified School District If you have any questions about this article, please contact Joe Goyos, SFCD Education Programs Director, at [email protected]

It is important for parents to know where to get help if they believe there are problems with their child's special education services. Special Education law creates a partnership between parents and the school so that education can be more effectively designed and delivered to students. With any partnership, communication may break down. It is in the best interest of your child to resolve problems at the earliest indication of communication breakdowns and to seek resolution at the school site first whenever possible. While the law establishes formal methods for dispute resolution, San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) has established a system of internal, less formal resolution options, which you are encouraged to use whenever you believe a problem is developing. 1. Discuss the problem with your child's classroom teacher and/or other school staff member who knows your child's needs. This can include your child's Special Education teacher, Counselor, Related Service provider (i.e. speech, occupational therapy, etc.), Psychologist or other specialist helping your child. It may also include the school site family liaison, who may be able to help with school site communications with staff. 2. Review your child's IEP and determine if the plan is being implemented. Does it need updating to meet any changing needs of your child? You may request a review of the IEP at anytime. A meeting must be held within 30 days of your request. Be sure to ask that all relevant IEP team members be present to address your concerns. 3. If there is no resolution, discuss the problem with the school Principal. Your Principal may assign staff with responsibility for Special Education to help. You should also speak with the special education program content specialist assigned to your child's school. The Special Education teacher and the school Principal will be able to provide you with contact information for the Special Education C