OER - Creative Commons

http://www.freesound.org/ http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/. Images: CC finder: software that you can download for free which then allows you to search ...
310KB Sizes 0 Downloads 62 Views
Copyright & Digital Content Development Using Open Education Resources, Creative Commons and Licenced Works.

What are Open Educational Resources (OER)? Open Educational Resources (OER) are educational resources that are openly available for use by educators and students to copy, upload, remix and share with others without an accompanying need to pay royalties or licence fees.




Why use OER? • It eliminates unnecessary duplication of effort by building on existing content • It removes costs of copyright negotiation and clearance • Over time, it can engage open communities of practice in on-going quality improvement and assurance2 What to find out more about OER Commons? Go to http://www.oercommons.org/

Creative Commons’ Six Core Licences Attribution Licence Creative Commons (CC) is an internationally active non-profit organisation that provides free licences for creators to use when making their work available to the public. These licences help the creator to give permission for others to use the work in advance under certain conditions. CC provides six core licences, each of which allows members of the pubic to use the material in different ways. While there are different CC licences, all CC licences include certain standard rights and obligations.3

Attribution - No Derivativess Licence Attribution - Non-commercial No Derivativess Licence Attribution - Non-commercial Licence Attribution - Non-commercialShare Alike Licence Attribution - Share Alike Licence

What Does Each Symbol Mean? Attribution You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work and derivative works based upon it - but only if they give you credit. Non-commercial You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work and derivative works based upon it - but for non-commercial purposes only. No Derivative Works You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it. Share Alike You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a licence identical to the licence that governs your work.

2 3

https://oerknowledgecloud.org/?q=content/oer-really-free http://smartcopying.edu.au/docs/default-source/creative-common-pdf/what_is_creative_commons__web


The following lists of websites provide open education and ‘free for education’ resources. A comprehensive list of both ‘open education’ and ‘free for education’ resources can be located at http://bit.ly/1xAwg0Z

Note: it is important to read the terms and conditions or copyright statement on each resource to understand what exactly you are able to do with the material.


Sound effects:

A great list of music communities that utilise CC licences can be found at

http://www.freesound.org/ http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

http://creativecommons.org/music-communities http://creativecommons.org/audio/ http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/14-websites-to-findfree-creative-commons-music/


Remix website, great for adding sounds or background music: http://ccmixter.org/

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

CC finder: software that you can download for free which then allows you to search the web for CC images Pics4Learning.com: http://www.pics4learning.com/

Opsound: http://opsound.org/index.php

Not using Free for Education or Creative Commons ? If the work is still in copyright and the proposed use is not covered by a licence, then you will need to obtain permission directly from the copyright/rights owner before you can use it.

Obtaining Permission

Licences Held by the Office Always check with your team to see if licences have been purchased or permission granted for use third party material.

The following list may be helpful to use in locating the creator

Use of Licences

AMCOS: www.amcos.com.au (for musical works: composers, writers and music publishers] APRA: www.apra.com.au (for the public performance and communication of musical works) ARIA: www.aria.com.au (for legitimate reproductions of sound recordings from records companies.) Copyright Agency Limited: www.copyright.com.au (for print and artistic works including publishers, authors and artists) PPCA: www.ppca.com.au (for the playing of sound recordings and music videos in public) VI$COPY: www.viscopy.com (for visual artists and owners of copyright in visual arts) Australian Publishers Association (ABA): www.publishers.asn.au Australian Writers Guild (for plays and screenplays): www.awg.com.au Illustrators Australia: www.illustratorsaustralia.com National Association for the Visual Arts (NAVA): www.visualarts.net.au Screenrights: www.screen.org (for film, television, sound recording)

A Licence grants permission to use a copyright work in a particular way, it may be an exclusive or non-exclusive licence.

Further information on how to clear rights and contact owners can be accessed from the Smartcopying website at http://bit.ly/1BoeoRW

To obtain permission, the first step is to identify the creator and the copyright owner of the work (see the following list). This is important for two reasons; 1. The creator may or may not be the Copyright/ Rights Holder of the work 2. The creator has moral rights, which are the right of attribution, rights against false attribution and the right to have the integrity of their work respected.

Permission granted Once permission is obtained this should be clearly labeled when the material is used. For example, the phrase ‘used with permission of [copyright owner]’ should be included in a worksheet or on the intranet page containing the material used with the copyright owner’s consent. Information on labelling third party material can be accessed from the Smartcopying website at http://bit.ly/1CZZlVs