Brad Held Accessibility Technology Coordinator Student Accessibility Services
Video Captioning Accessibility
**3rd party Captioning Request Form will be emailed to Student Development Enrollment Services (SDES) staff after completion of training.
Accessibility Formats •Large Print • Audio format • Text only Complication Statement • Accessible Technology can be confusing, if you are lost or just don’t understand, please raise your hand. I will try to explain it differently.
Overview • Why Adding Captions Benefits ALL • Formats for Videos and Captioning Files • Best Practice for Captioning Placements • Tools for Adding Captions • Software • Video Hosting Platforms • Practice
• 3rd Party Captioning Services • Presentation Post-test and Evaluations
5 Benefits of Captioning Video • Accessibility to Deaf or Hard of Hearing Viewers • Student Accessibility Services support over 70 students with some type of hearing impairment. * The viewer of your video might include someone in the community or a parent with a hearing impairment. • Americans with Disability Act (ADA) * Title II - Accessible State and Local Public Entities mandates: • May not refuse to allow a person with a disability to participate in a service, program, or activity simply because the person has a disability.
5 Benefits of Captioning Video (Continue) • Better Comprehension • Closed captions can greatly enhance the experience for viewers whose native language is not English. • Captions help viewers with learning disabilities, autism, and attention deficits to concentrate and absorb the speech more easily.
• Viewability in Sound-Sensitive Environments (Mobile) • With closed captions on, viewers can watch your videos in places where audio is unavailable. This is particularly important as mobile video grows and viewers are more likely to watch videos on-the-go. • If someone’s on a noisy train, bar or on a crowded street, captions will convey the speech when the sound is obscured. • Captions also let viewers enjoy videos on mute in quiet environments such as a library or office.
5 Benefits of Captioning Video (Continue) • Increased Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Video Views * Transcripts allow search engines to scan the full text of your file so that is can be properly indexed. Google can’t watch your video, but it can read the transcript to understand what it’s about.
• Translation into Foreign Languages • A video transcript is the first step in creating subtitles in foreign languages. • Offering subtitles in other languages instantly broadens your appeal to an international audience.
Formats for Video and Captioning Files • Video Formats • • • • •
MP4 (Moving Pictures Expert Group 4) MOV (Apple QuickTime Movie) WMV (Windows Media Video) FLV (Flash Video Format) AVI (Audio Video Interleave)
• Basic Captioning Formats • SRT (SubRip – Most Popular) • SBV (SubViewer) * basic timing information, and can be edited using any plain text editor, such as Notepad
Formats for Video and Captioning Files (Continue) • Advance Captioning Formats • SAMI (Synchronized Accessible Media Interchange) • Styling or simple markup (, , , and the color= attribute within a ) is supported.
• DFXP (Distribution Format Exchange Profile) • Simple markup and positioning supported.
• Broadcast File Formats • SCC (Scenarist Closed Caption) • also known as "line 21 captions“ for US television.
Best Practice for Caption Style and Formatting • Spelling should be at least 99% accurate. • When multiple speakers are present, it is sometimes helpful to identify who is speaking, especially when the video does not make this clear. • Both upper and lowercase letters should be used. • The font should be a non-serif, such as Helvetica medium. * Non-speech sounds like [MUSIC] or [LAUGHTER] should be added in square brackets. • Punctuation should be used for ma
Oct 1, 2013 - Music & Images: Let's. Make Music Look Better. Than an Excel Page. Ty Roberts, Gracenote. Chris Wiltsee, BandPage. Jason Fiber, Superfecta. Rami Perlman, theAudience. Jan D'Alessandro, Backplane. Moderator: Vince Bannon, Getty Images. A
Oct 27, 2014 - Promoting Full Implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1540 (2004): ... event, but also for its longstanding support for international ... National implementation remains the cornerstone in the 1540 architecture. ... gives spe
DaaMat. Salt 4. Cmclkt Itundinc. UiM Nora. Mita; ISaerttanr . Mr- - caretl. Its . KH b? alt drtic--. Mary X, Warts; Treaaam. Slra. Barak. "a8 at offka aa4 raaMaac. Roberta. .... .roas Drug Ca. Mlaa Katie BarcbelU Secretary. Sold and Recommended by. W